Several emergency crews responded to a structure fire at an apartment complex on Old Bullard Road.

The fire broke out at Bullard Creek Apartments around 12:30 Monday afternoon.

Five engines, a ladder truck, two District Chiefs and two investigators responded to the fire and were able to bring it under control in about 30 minutes.

The tenant in the apartment where the fire started said his daughter heard noises and 'popping' sound shortly before the fire started.

According to the Tyler Fire Department, the tenant had discarded a cigarette in the trash can just moments before the fire started. One of the first arriving units noted seeing fire in the area where the trash can was located.

No injuries were reported, but nine units were affected by the fire. Bullard Creek management is helping those families find alternate lodging.