A KIlgore family says their thankful to be alive after their home went up in flames this morning. The family tells us they woke up to smoke close to 2 this morning.

When they went outside, they say the fire had completely taken over their home. Neighbors called the fire department.

Fire investigators say there was one minor burn injury and they are still looking for the cause of the fire.

The family saved their cat, but a pet turtle died.

“It hurts to see our home gone but we will get back on our feet,” Resident Robert Veale says.

The Red Cross is helping the family as they cope with the shock of losing everything.

Through it all, the family expressed gratitude for everyone who has shown so much love and support. Right now, they're staying with relatives, and plan to look for another home.