A state trooper certified in accident reconstruction said a San Antonio man was traveling 50 miles per hour and did not apply the brakes when his pickup ran head-on into a Ford Focus killing a 21-year-old Tyler woman.

Texas Department of Public Safety trooper Barry Evans spoke on the stand Wednesday about the May 14, 2016, wreck during the second day of testimony in the trial of James Arthur Fulton, 42, of San Antonio.

Fulton is charged with criminal negligent homicide in the death of Haile Dawn Beasley. Police previously have said Fulton was traveling westbound on Grande Boulevard in Tyler about 9:40 p.m. that day in 2016 when his Dodge Ram pickup crossed into the eastbound lanes and struck a Ford Focus head on.

Forensic pathologist Dr. Robert Lyon said in court the cause of Beasley’s death was a basal skull fracture and the manner of death was accidental, meaning it was not caused by suicide or homicide. He also said there were no signs of drugs or alcohol in Beasley's body.

Tyler Police Officer Shane Jasper, who investigated the accident, said he determined the contributing factors were unsafe speed, failure to drive in a single lane and that Fulton had been drinking.

Jasper said he did not conduct the field sobriety tests, but included drinking as a factor in the crash because another police officer said alcohol was involved.

He said the road condition was dry, no moisture on the asphalt road and he didn’t remember any defects in the road.

Evans from DPS said data from Beasley’s airbag control module indicates Beasley was traveling at 38.1 miles per hour when the impact happened and didn’t apply her brakes until the impact took place.

Fulton's pickup was traveling 51 miles per hour five seconds before the crash and 50 miles per hour when he crashed into Haile's car.

"There was no braking activity in his vehicle," Evans said.

Testimony continues in the case. Court officials believe the trial may end Tuesday.

This story will be updated when more information becomes available.