LONGVIEW (KYTX) -- Nine convenience stores are in hot water after allegedly selling cigarettes to kids under 18.
Longview Police just finished a month-long sting using teens as young as 14 to pose as buyers. They say seven convenience stores sold to a teen one time and two of them got caught doing it twice.
Longview parents tell us they're glad someone's looking out for their kids.
"It's like they're going behind our backs," Erika Rodriguez said. "Basically trying to interfere with us lecturing our kids not to smoke."
All the clerks caught selling to kids got a citation from Longview Police. They'll be required to answer those charges in municipal court. The citations are for a class-C misdemeanor and punishable with a $500 fine.
According to Longview Police, the following stores were caught in the sting:
- Nice Way (800 Pine Tree Rd)
- Tejas Super Mart (1822 Pine Tree Rd)
- Brianna's Stop-n-Shop (3122 Estes Pkwy, twice)
- J&B Food Mart (1600 S Green St)
- Road Runner (1917 Judson Rd)
- Rudy's #16 (128 W Marshall Ave)
- Tobacco Station (3541 Gilmer Rd)
- Food Fast #1073 (3357 Gilmer Rd)
- Kyle's (1401 Judson Rd, twice)