UPDATE: TYLER (TYLER MORNING TELEGRAPH) - Gilbert's El Charro restaurant on Fifth Street in Tyler is closed, according to a sign posted on the door today.
A second El Charro location on Erwin Street has been closed for several months, with a sign posted saying that the closing was for remodeling purposes.
Owners tell us that that location is now also closing.
TYLER (TYLER MORNING TELEGRAPH) - After nearly seven decades in business, Gilbert's El Charro has closed its No. 2 restaurant on Fifth Street.
A sign on the door this afternoon reads, "We would like to thank you for 69.5 years and three days of wonderful memories. We love y'all. Gilbert's El Charro Rest. are now officially closed."
The original El Charro Restaurant, on East Erwin Street, has been closed for renovations since May 6. A sign on that restaurant encourages customers to visit the Fifth Street eatery while the restaurant undergoes kitchen remodeling and repairs.
Owners of El Charro have not been able to be reached for comment.
The late Gilbert Ramirez Sr. opened the first El Charro in 1943, about two decades after coming to the United States from Reynosa, Mexico. He built El Charro No. 1 on East Erwin Street in 1952. The No. 2 location opened in 1962. Gilbert Sr.'s wife, Arabelia Ramirez, and their children have operated the restaurants since he died in 1975. All six Ramirez children grew up around the restaurants and have had a hand in running the business.