UPDATE: FRUITVALE (CBSDFW.COM) – A 41-year-old woman died and her 14-year-old daughter was seriously burned after fire swept through their rural Van Zandt County home Tuesday morning.
The fire erupted at the family's single-wide mobile home off County Road 1129 outside Fruitvale around 12:30 a.m., said Van Zandt County fire marshal Chuck Allen. The woman's 16-year-old son was sleeping in the living room along with other children and smelled smoke. He was able to get out and break the bedroom window to get his sister free. Two others – ages 18 and 20 - were able to escape the flames and were not hurt.
A fireman suffered minor injuries fighting the fire and was taken a nearby hospital and was also treated and released.Allen said the fire was caused by a space heater that was placed too close to a pile of clothing.
The name of the victim has not yet been released until other family members can be notified. The woman's husband passed away earlier this year, Allen said. Firefighters with the Fruitvale and Grand Saline Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the scene along with the Van Zandt County Sheriff's office.
FRUITVALE (KYTX) - A fire in Van Zandt County leaves one woman dead and her 14-year-old son seriously injured.
It happened around 12:30 this morning on Van Zandt County Road 1129 -- that's just outside the town of Fruitvale. According to the Van Zandt County Sheriff's Office, a space heater was placed too close to a pile of clothing. The son had burns to his arms and hands and was airlifted to Parkland Hospital in Dallas.
Two other people were inside the home at the time, but wasn't hurt.