Fire causes minor damage to a Tyler home

Tyler Fire Department:

TYLER (KYTX) - The Tyler Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire Wednesday afternoon in the 900 block of W. Nutbush St.  The initial call was received just after 2:00 p.m., with six units responding to the single alarm incident.

Firefighters arriving on the scene reported light smoke coming from the structure.  Entry into the residence was made and firefighters discovered a small fire in the oven. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and ventilated smoke from the house.

There was one occupant inside at the time of the incident.  Firefighters report that the fire originated in the kitchen and was caused as a result of cooking.  No injuries were reported and the home suffered only minor damage.

The fire department reminds citizens to be alert and use caution when cooking in the home.  According to recent statistics from the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries.  Two of every five home fires start in the kitchen, with unattended cooking accounting for 34 percent of these.  Citizens are encouraged to practice fire safety and prevention year-round, especially as we enter the holiday season.

For more information on fire prevention and safety, please contact the Tyler Fire Marshal's Office at (903)535-0005.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS
More Stories