Gas leak causes blast in central Massachusetts strip club

(CNN) -- A strip club in the western Massachusetts city of Springfield was torn to shreds Friday by an explosion caused by a gas leak, a city official said. Several injured people were sent to area hospitals, the official said.

Those inside Club Scores evacuated the single, multistory building just before the blast, city spokesman Thomas Walsh said.

Even so, several people suffered injuries in the explosion that leveled the club's building. Walsh could not immediately detail the number or extent of the injuries.

Springfield police Sgt. Richard Randolph said there were no fatalities, adding that those injured were civilians and taken to Baystate Medical Center or Mercy Medical Center.

Video showed that the front of the building was shredded by the blast, with parts of its facade destroyed. Walsh noted that a nearby auto repair shop had its doors completely blown off.

CNN affiliate WGGB reported that the explosion could be felt at its station, about 4 miles away.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment