The Longview Fire Department says crews were doing maintenance work at North Huntington Hills Apartment complex around 4:30 this afternoon, when a fire broke out damaging an exterior wall.
While no units sustained permanent damage, the smoke forced people who live in 8 apartments out of their homes for the night.
Jonarious Williams is one of them.
He worried about himself, and his newborn daughter.
"I didn't know exactly what was going on it happened so fast. We are just glad to be out and glad to be safe." - Williams
Longview Fire Marshall Johnny Zachary says the maintenance men were using a hot tool called a soldering iron, to repair a piece of copper pipe, and got too close to the wood of the building, Catching it on fire.
He says so-called 'hot' work like soldering, welding, and grinding has caused at least 5 fires to businesses and homes already this year, and it's something that can easily be prevented.
"If you're using anything that causes heat be sure to have an extinguisher ready, shield the area you're working at, and primarily check your work when finished" - Zachary, Longview Fire Marshall
"Zachary says the apartments maintenance crews worked quickly to extinguish the flames... preventing the fire from spreading to the other side of the building. - Kevin Boyce,
According to the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety, there's been an average of 3200 house fires each year caused by hot work in the US since 2005.
Jonarious just hopes people are careful in the future, and take fire seriously.
"Life is more important than material stuff" - Williams