SEATTLE - Americans generate roughly 1,000 pounds of waste per household during the holidays, which is about 25% more than normal. At the same time, 80% of what is thrown away could be recycled.
Republic Services in Seattle recommends:
• Save your ribbons, gift bags and bows for re-gifting because they're not recyclable.
• You can recycle wrapping paper of all kinds -- glossy and glittery alike.
• Don't forget you can avoid waste by sending holiday cards via email.
• Instead of using foam for packaging, consider shredding paper, magazines or newsprint for a personal touch.
• Save bubble wrap to reuse again -- it's tempting but don't pop it.
Here's a recycling tip video from Republic Services:
Copyright 2016 KING