VAN (KYTX) - First graders in Van got to visit a special house Thursday, and learn about fire safety.
The Van Fire Department set up an inflatable fire prevention house at Rhodes Elementary and first grade students spent the day practicing fire drills in a house. It's part of 'Fire Prevention Week' and these first graders said they're prepared if there's a fire.
"There's two ways to get out of the house," explained first grader Jordan Ryan. "One there's a front door and one there's a window."
"Get down when there's smoke," added Bruce Shaw, also in first grade.
Firefighters said it's important for families to have a stationary meeting place if there's a fire like a mailbox, tree or swing set.
"We convince them that when they get home, when they get done with this they can teach their parents how to do a drill at their house," said Van Fire Chief Jeff Hudgens.