(USA TODAY) - The terror group Islamic State released a video Tuesday apparently depicting the beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff.
Sotloff, kneeling, says he is "paying the price" for the U.S. intervention in Iraq with his life.
"You've spent billions of U.S. tax payers dollars and we've lost thousands of our troops in our previous fighting against the Islamic State," Sotfloff says. "So where is the people's interest in reigniting this war?"
Moments later, a man dressed in black blames Obama moments before beheading Sotloff.
"I'm back, Obama, and I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State," the man says.
Sotloff, 31, appeared in a video released by the group last month that showed the beheading of another journalist, James Foley. The group threatened to kill Sotloff next.
Sotloff was kidnapped August 4, 2013 near Aleppo, after crossing the Syrian border from Turkey.
Sotloff filed freeelance stories with numerous publications, including Time and Foreign Policy, and remained moderately active on social media while he worked in the Middle East. One video shows him on the streets of Aleppo as a bomber flies overhead.
Like many freelancers in the region, he was drawn to hottest stories, regardless of the risks. He listed Benghazi, Libya, as his residence on social media and reported vigorously about the fatal U.S. Embassy attack in the city in late 2012, appearing on Fox News to offer his account and report on his interviews with guards at the compound.