Kilgore man arrested for attacking a state trooper

KILGORE (KYTX) - A Kilgore man arrested three times this year on forgery and aggravated assault charges is back in the Gregg County Jail, this time for attacking a state trooper after leading officers on a chase.

According to Gregg County Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Arthur Fort, DPS troopers said 34-year-old Johnny Eldon Green Jr. refused to pull over his vehicle when troopers tried to initiate a traffic stop shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday. It is unclear where the chase ended, because the arrest location according to jail records stated "SH 45," and therefore could be either a private address on Lake Cherokee or a typo for Texas Highway 42.

Fort said that, once the chase ended, Green fought with troopers, who used a Taser before subduing the suspect. According to jail records, at least one trooper was injured in the confrontation.

"It (arrest report) didn't say whether the officer was treated or not (for an injury)," Fort said. "He had chased him for quite a ways."

Troopers found multiple drugs in Green's vehicle.

On Aug. 12, Green was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon but was released the next day on $25,000 bond. In January, Gregg County Court-at-Law No. 2 Judge Vincent Dulweber convicted Green of forgery of a financial instrument and sentenced him to 18 months in state jail but released him with credit for time served.

Now, Green is back in the Gregg County Jail, held without bond for a parole violation. Fort set bond at $65,500 for his latest charges of assault a public servant, possession of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana, resisting arrest and evading arrest using a vehicle with a prior conviction on the same charge.

The Texas Department of Public Safety declined to comment on this case until the arresting officer, Trooper James Ammons, completes his report.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment