By ShaVonne Herndon
Drinking bottled water is ok for Carmen Armas today, but this time yesterday it was a different story. "I got really hot in the car and so we didn't stop," she explained. "We just picked a bottle of water out the car and I felt really hot and thirsty."
Trying to prevent dehydration, within minutes she got worse. "Then we were going to go to another store and I just felt sick," she continued. "I felt like I had a fever like my body was hurting like when you have a fever, I felt a little nauseous not too much."
But enough to where she was second guessing what was going on. Doctors say whenever a plastic bottle is left in a car for a length of time, the heat releases cancer-causing toxins, which then leak from the plastic into the water.
Les Rickett is setting up for the Longview fireworks show. He likes his water cold for his customers. "Well what we like to do is we want the water cold, we want it to be favorable experience for the customer so even though this is complimentary tonight we want it to be cold," said Rickett. "That way people can be refreshed and in the Texas heat it is critical that people take in enough water."
Water that is cool and healthy, not left in the car, a mistake Carmen said she won't repeat again. "You know if you are thirsty and you drink water you think it's going to make you feel better and I mean it was hot and I was drinking the hot water," said Carmen. "I'm like I thought it was going to take my thirst away and it kind of did, but it was afterwards I felt really sick."