Family members announced Saturday that Lindale firefighter Joe Yeakley was facing yet another challenge in his recovery after being caught by a collapsed roof inside a burning home last month.
"Dad has tested positive for an infection in his lungs," family members wrote on the Facebook Page set up to spread information about Yeakley's condition. "They caught the infection early and he is getting lots of antibiotics."
Yeakley remains at a Dallas hospital, where he's been since shortly after the accident.
News of the infection came as people in the Lindale area came together for another benefit meant to help Yeakley and his family.
East Cheer Athletics hosted the event. Owner Melissa Pruitt said it was a great lesson for her students.
"I want to make sure all the girls know it's important to give back to the community," she said.