1 hurt in Longview residential fire

LONGVIEW - One person suffered burns and respiratory injuries after trying to fight a fire in his home on Oct. 30.

According to a Longview Fire Department press release, crews responded to a fire on LaFamo Road in Longview around 10 a.m. on Oct 30. They arrived to find a man suffering from burns and respiratory issues received trying to fight a fire in his bedroom with a water hose.

The victim was first sent to a Longview hospital then later sent to a Dallas hospital for treatment of his injuries.

The report states that the fire started in the bedroom and caused major damage to the room and contents. There was also heavy smoke damage throughout the home.

The cause of the fire was linked back to a juvenile playing with a lighter. That juvenile and two additional children in the home were able to get out without injury.

The following are safety tips to prevent this type of injury and loss:

  • Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
  • Have working smoke alarms in each sleeping room and adjacent hallway(s).
  • When a fire occurs, get low, get out, and stay out. While fire may be causing damage to belongings' and the structure, it is an environment that can cause death or life long injuries.

(© 2016 KYTX)


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment