TYLER, TX - During the holidays the number of house fires increase.
One of the reasons... power strips.
Paul Findley with the Tyler Fire Department says plugging in too many cords can cause an electrical fire.
"The downside of those things is that it's really easy to overload those quickly, because you can plug in so many appliances into one strip and that the other end of that appliance is still going into the same wall outlet that any other appliance goes into," he said.
One of the main things to avoid plugging into the power cord is a space heater.
Something else you might want to avoid is setting you Christmas tree up too close to the fire.
© 2017 KYTX-TV