TYLER - Mayor Martin Heines kicked off the Sixth Annual Meals on Wheels Santas for Seniors holiday gift drive at 11 a.m Monday at the Starbucks Coffee on 4925 South Broadway Ave.
After making an official proclamation, Mayor Heines dropped the first gift of the season into the donation bin, starting the annual campaign for 2017.
"Many of the people we serve are elderly or disabled, and they live alone," said Zoe Lawhorn, Vice President of Development and Public Relations for Meals on Wheels Ministry. "The holidays can be especially lonesome for those who have lost loved ones, and aren't able to celebrate with friends or family."
For anyone who wishes to participate in the drive, people can donate a new, unwrapped gift at any participating drop off locations across East Texas.
Meals on Wheel staff will be collecting gifts like personal comfort items (blankets, robes, house shoes and socks), small space heaters and other items.
The donations will be wrapped in holiday style and then personally delivered to homebound seniors and individuals who live alone or are in need during the week of Christmas.
A list of locations where new, unwrapped gifts will be collected:
- All Starbucks retail locations in Tyler
- Altar'd State boutique in Broadway Square Mall
- Orange Theory Fitness in Tyler
- Buddy's Home Furnishings in Tyler and Longview
- All Alpha Media radio stations,
- 104.1 The Ranch
- La Invasora
- 106.5 Jack FM at 210 South Broadway Ave.
- 105.7 KYKX at 4408 US Highway 259 North in Longview
- All Meals on Wheels Locations in East Texas
Gifts will be collected at those locations until December 20.
© 2018 KYTX-TV