Released by Longview Police Department
LONGVIEW (KYTX) - The tips below are offered by the Longview Police Department to remind citizens as we head into the 2013 holiday season to make safety a priority. We can never be too careful, too aware, or too prepared. Feel free to share this information with others so that this holiday season can be safer than 2012.
- Beware of strangers and never stop if flagged down. Call 9-1-1 and give them the information.
- Avoid shopping alone. Have a partner, especially after dark.
- Keep your doors and windows locked at all times.
- Park in well lit areas of the parking lot.
- Have your keys in hand when you are walking to your car.
- Carry a small purse r wallet if possible. The bigger the bag the more inviting it is to the thief.
- Keep an eye on your bank or credit card balance. Thieves love to get themselves a "little extra cash or credit" this time of year.
- If possible, leave small children at home with a trusted relative or babysitter.
- Never leave small children unattended in a vehicle.
- Never leave your car engine running and keys in the ignition.
- Don't advertise big ticket items by putting the boxes at the road for sanitation pickup.
- Beware of solicitors that may approach you in the parking lot. Do not talk to them simply call police and give a description.