Manhunt underway for alleged terrorist in Boston Bombings


(CBS) - One of two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing is dead and a massive manhunt is continuing for another, authorities said early Friday.

In a long night of violence the two suspects killed an MIT police officer, injured a transit officer in a firefight, and threw explosive devices at police during their getaway attempt, authorities said.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis says the suspect at large is the one seen in the white hat in images of the Boston Marathon suspects released by the FBI Thursday. Davis says he is "armed and dangerous."

From Watertown to Cambridge, police surrounded various buildings as they searched for Suspect No. 2. Around 8:30 a.m., officers sprinted toward a house in Watertown, and reporters were pushed back more than a block as helicopters buzzed overhead. SWAT teams, FBI agents and armored vehicles assembled at the scene as sharpshooters across the street trained their guns at the house. They left the house around 9:30 a.m., and a few dozen Boston police officers with assault rifles and helmets then filed into the backyard of a red brick building down the street.

"We believe this man to be a terrorist," said Davis.

A few dozen Boston police officers with assault rifles and helmets left that house and were filing into the backyard of a red brick building down the street that they raided at around 7 a.m.

Residents throughout the Boston area -- including Watertown, Cambridge, Waltham, Newton and Belmont -- have been advised to keep their doors locked and not let anyone in. The Boston Police Department warned residents to "stay home." Vehicles were barred from entering or leaving Watertown.

Public transit in the area has been suspended. Amtrak service was also temporarily suspended between Boston and Providence, R.I. The FAA has also imposed temporary flight restrictions in the Boston area.

In addition, all taxi service in the City of Boston has been suspended pending further notice.

Police are evacuating residents in Cambridge who lived on the same block as the suspects, going door-to-door telling people to leave. Police told CBS News it is just a precaution, but they have roped off the area and residents are coming out with suitcases.

At one suspect's apartment building, on Norfolk Street in Cambridge, a CBS News producer at the scene witnessed a woman being taken away authorities, being dragged by her arms. It was not known if she was being arrested or resisting being evacuated.

Some time after police evacuated everyone from the premises, police yelled "Fire in the hole," and detonated something.

The Middlesex district attorney said the two men are suspected of killing a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer on campus late Thursday, then stealing a car at gunpoint and later releasing its driver unharmed. Hours earlier, police had released photos of the marathon bombing suspects and asked for the public's help finding them. 

Authorities say the suspects threw explosives from the car as police followed it into Watertown. The suspects and police exchanged gunfire, and one of the suspects was critically injured and later died while the other escaped.

A law enforcement official tells CBS News the two suspected bombers are believed to be from Chechnya or near Chechnya. They are legal permanent residents of the U.S. They are not students.

The two have been identified as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass., and his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26.

Tamerlan -- the suspect seen in FBI photos released Thursday as wearing the black hat -- was wounded in an exchange of gunfire with police during last night's pursuit. He was captured and rushed to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, where he died at 1:35 a.m. Doctors said he had gunshot wounds and a blast injury. The wounds were throughout the trunk of the man's body, CBS Station WBZ reported.

Ruslan Tsarni, an uncle of the suspects, told CBS Station WBZ "it absolutely devastated me," upon learning that his nephews had been named a suspect in the Marathon bombing. "It's not comprehendable, in our family."

Tsarni told WBZ that his nephews had immigrated to the United States around 2000 or 2001, and have lived in Cambridge since that time.

According to Tsarni, Dzhokhar completed high school in Cambridge. Tsarni, who says he hasn't been in touch with the brothers since around 2009, told the station he believes that the brothers' parents may have moved back to Russia.

Informed of the unfolding situation that left Tamerlan Tsarnaev dead in a shootout, Tsarni said, "He deserved his. He absolutely deserved his. . . . They do not deserve to live on this earth."

Alvi Tsarni, another uncle of the suspects, told CBS News said he was shocked about learning news of his nephews. "It's not possible. My nephews can't do this stuff, there's no way," he said.

Tsarni said that after not having heard from his nephews for the past two of three years owing to "family problems," he received a call from Tamerlan Tsarnaev last night at 7 p.m. "Yesterday he called me, said, 'Forgive me,' just like this," Tsarni said.

He also said that Tamerlan's wife is an American, a Christian who had recently converted to Islam.

Meanwhile, the father of the suspects claims that his son who is still on the loose is a smart and accomplished young man, describing him as a "true angel."

Anzor Tsarnaev spoke with The Associated Press by telephone from the Russian city of Makhachkala on Friday after police said his sons Tamerlan had been killed in a shootout with the police and the other, Dzhokhar, was being pursued.

"My son is a true angel," the elder Tsarnaev said, claiming his son was a medical student in the U.S. "He is such an intelligent boy. We expected him to come on holidays here."

President Obama was briefed on the situation overnight, according to a White House official.


The MIT shooting on the Cambridge campus Thursday night was followed by gunfire and explosions in Watertown, about 10 miles west of Boston.


The MIT officer had been responding to report of a disturbance Thursday night when he was shot multiple times, according to a statement from the Middlesex district attorney's office and Cambridge police. It said there were no other victims. 

In Watertown, multiple gunshots and explosions were heard at about 1 a.m. Friday. Dozens of police officers and FBI agents were in the neighborhood and a helicopter circled overhead.

State police spokesman David Procopio said, "The incident in Watertown did involve what we believe to be explosive devices possibly, potentially, being used against the police officers."

An MBTA police officer was shot and seriously wounded. Officer Richard Donohue, Jr., 33, was rushed to Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, where he is in critical condition, reports WBZ.

Boston cab driver Imran Saif said he was standing on a street corner at a police barricade across from a diner when he heard an explosion. 

"I heard a loud boom and then a rapid succession of pop, pop, pop," he said. "It sounded like automatic weapons. And then I heard the second explosion."

He said he could smell something burning and advanced to check it out but area residents at their windows yelled at him, "Hey, it's gunfire! Don't go that way!"

MIT said right after the 10:30 p.m. shooting that police were sweeping the campus in Cambridge and urged people to remain indoors. They urged people urged to stay away from the Stata Building, a mixed-use building with faculty offices, classrooms and a common area.  Hours later, MIT, which has about 11,000 students, said the campus was clear but the shooter was still on the loose.

(KYTX) - A massive manhunt is underway this morning. Police believe an alleged terrorist is on the loose in the Boston area.

CBS19 is piecing together a dangerous and confusing night. At this point, we know at least one officer is dead, another seriously injured. And, one suspect connected to Monday's marathon bombings is dead.

10,000 officers are searching for a person they're calling a terrorist connected with Monday's marathon bombings. Police are telling people to stay inside, lock their doors and shut their windows because he may be armed with explosives. This all comes after a night of shootouts, explosions and a carjacking.

Boston is on edge this morning after a night of violence and chaos.

Police responded to the Cambridge campus of MIT Thursday evening where an officer was shot and killed. The area was shut down and the college community warned to stay away. That was just the beginning.

Action then sprung up in the nearby community of Watertown where an alleged carjacking may have involved explosives. Gunfire was exchanged and one officer was shot.

"In the exchange of gunfire, we believe one suspect was struck and ultimately taken into custody. One suspect was able to flee from that car."

The District Attorney's office says that first suspect has died.

The Massachusetts State Police are now looking for a man who matches the description of the second suspect wanted by the FBI in connection with Monday's attack at the Boston marathon.

A door-to-door manhunt is underway.

"We are asking people to shelter in place for the time being, not to leave their homes."

Again, the concern is that this second suspect on the loose is armed and dangerous.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said "we believe this is a man who's come here to kill people. We want to be very careful what we do here."

Robocalls were sent out to people in Watertown overnight telling them to stay inside. Police have requested all public transportation be shut down until further notice. All of Watertown has been shut down and closed off to cars. And, MIT has canceled classes for students today.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment