Mobile home fire extinguishes itself

KYTX (TYLER PAPER) - LINDALE – A Lindale family sat outside watching a day's worth of yard cleanup burn Sunday evening when they realized a fire had sparked inside their home.

Homeowner Lina Vallejo said she lives in the home, at 17053 County Road 492, with her three children, and the entire family was outside with their animals when the fire sparked.

Ms. Vallejo said flames could be seen reflecting on the windows, but because there was a fire outside, the family did not think there was any cause for alarm until smoke started coming out of the room's windows.

Lindale Fire Chief Jerry Garner said the fire put itself out before the department arrived, but firefighters cleared smoke and make sure all hotspots were safely extinguished.

Garner said the home appeared to have heavy smoke and soot damage, but the flames never penetrated the roof. He said mobile homes are generally very vulnerable when fires start, but the home was fairly new and held up to the flames.

The Smith County Fire Marshall's office continued to investigate the official cause of the fire Sunday night.

Ms. Vallejo said her daughter was cold, and turned a space heater up full blast to heat the room, and she fears the heater may have been too close to curtains.

Lindale, Dixie and Red Springs volunteer fire departments responded to the scene.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories