Morning fire sends one woman to the hospital


VAN ZANDT COUNTY (KYTX) - An early morning fire sends one person to the hospital. 

The Van Zandt County Fire Marshal's Office says the fire was reported shortly after 6 am. The fire was contained to an unoccupied bedroom. Wills Point Police Department officers were able to lessen the extent of damages to the home by closing doors and windows of the residence, until firefighters could arrive.

Investigators say a faulty extension cord caused the fire. The County Fire Marshal found multiple extension cords plugged into each other, and also plugged into two electrical devices. There were no working smoke detectors in the residence.

The woman home at the time was awakened by the smell of smoke. Wills Point, Edgewood, and Rolling Oaks VFD's responded to the fire. One bedroom suffered extensive fire damage and the entire home suffered smoke damage. The woman was transported by Champion EMS to a local hospital for treatment.

The Van Zandt County Fire Marshal's Office says this is a reminder to check the batteries in your smoke detectors. Extension cords are not made to be plugged in one after another to reach and run electric devices.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment