COMANCHE, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – A trailer full of fireworks has exploded and one person is dead. It happened Thursday morning in the Central Texas town of Comanche.
City Development Director Jackie Stewart says it happened on the softball fields at the High School where the Kiwanis club was setting up for tomorrow night's show – Family on the Fourth.
"There was an explosion, a trailer and vehicles caught on fire," said Stewart. "Four individuals were injured, three of those critically."
Comanche fire Lt. Marcus Nettleton says it's not immediately clear what triggered the explosion.
Officials say one person was killed.
It's believed the fireworks were being unloaded from a trailer at the time. Stewart says nearby businesses felt the blast.
There is also reports of property damage but they don't know if it is to the school or to businesses.
The area near the high school stadium has been sealed off by first responders.
The state fire marshal's office and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are investigating.
*this is a developing story, follow 1080 KRLD, CBS 11 News and CBSDFW.com for the latest.