LONGVIEW/GREGG COUNTY (KYTX) - A spark from a lawnmower is blamed for a grass fire, just north of Longview, Saturday.
Johnny Zachary is Longview's Fire Marshall. He says it's a warning for people to be very careful as temperatures increase and so do winds.
"We have high winds, we have a lot of dry grasses and shrubs."
- Design and maintain your home landscaping with wildfire safety in mind, if needed, ask your local plant nursery for help.
- Make sure lawn care equipment and implements are in good repair.
- Always have a water supply or fire extinguisher nearby during outdoor activities.
- Use fire resistant pebbles and rocks around your home.
- Store flammable's at least 30 feet away from your home and wooden fences.