Paramedic testifies in Walker grandchild abuse trial

TYLER (TYLER MORNING TELEGRAPH) - A paramedic who transported a two-year-old girl to the hospital for second degree burns that her grandparents say are accidental told a jury this morning that the child was "screaming and crying" and appeared to be in pain as the child was placed on a stretcher in February.

The testimony came from Gayle Holt, a paramedic from East Texas Medical Center in the second day of the trial of Kenneth and Shelley Walker of Whitehouse. The trial is taking place in the 241st District Court, with Judge Jack Skeen Jr. presiding.

Kenneth Neal Walker, 55, and his wife, Shelley Walker, 60, were each charged with injury to a child, a first-degree felony, after their arrest in March. They could get probation or up to life in prison if convicted, Smith County Assistant District Attorney Jason Parrish had said.

Tyler police were called to 4201 Aberdeen St. on Feb. 28, after an EMS report of burns to Bridget Walker's feet. Parrish said earlier that he could not comment on the child's current condition.

In response to questioning from defense attorney Scott Ellis, Ms. Holt said that Mrs. Walker "seemed concerned" about the then-two-year-old child's condition and told Ms. Holt that the girl had gone into one of the bathrooms of the house and had turned on the scalding water and had climbed into the bathroom by herself.

According to arrest affidavits, the child received burns to both feet and ankles that were consistent with second-degree immersion bilateral burns and not splash burns.

Tyler Detective Michelle Brock said in her affidavit in March that the child was in the care of the Walkers, who are her grandparents, when the injuries occurred.

Detective Brock stated in her affidavit that the Walkers gave multiple stories about the incident, but doctors told detectives the burns were not accidental.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment