TYLER (KYTX) -Tyler school leaders are moving ahead with changes to Stewart Middle School, now that the bond has passed.
But first, they want input from you on the future of the school.
The proposed A.T. Stewart Academy of Excellence is an alternative approach to high school provided by the Tyler Independent School District.
The primary objective is for all students to achieve academic success and be prepared for the college environment while developing the abilities to become informed and productive citizens of our community,state, and nation.
A Non-Traditional System of Education
• Based on independent study modules
• Timelines established for completing assignments,
projects and tests
• Students will work at their own pace with
parameters of completion times
• Concentration on required courses with limited
• Students will get as much support from teachers as
• Study materials will be provided to inform the
students of the objectives and direct them to
learning materials which support the objectives and
prepare them for evaluations.
• Completion of individual assignments will be a
A Wide Variety of Instructional Modalities
• Individual and group instruction
• Self-paced learning
• Each student will be assigned a teacher mentor to
remain as his/her support person for the duration of
the student's time at the academy
• The mentor relationship will allow students to have
experience with adults who have high expectations
while supporting students' efforts to succeed
• The teacher mentor will also serve as the liaison
between home and school
• Students of all abilities will comprise the student
• Students with strong personal motivation and self discipline will be ready for the independent study concept
• Students without self-discipline and motivation will ﬁnd enough adult support to move them toward attaining these skills
• Attend school at ﬂexible times
• Career and Technology Center
• Campus clubs and organizations
• College, career and military exposure for post secondary success
• Community involvement and volunteer opportunities
The following are examples of Academy of Excellence schools:
Temple ISD: Fred Edwards Academy - http://edwards-academy.ths.tisd.org
Garland ISD: Memorial Pathway Academy - http://www.garlandisdschools.net
Copperas Cove ISD: Crossroads High School - http://www.ccisd.com
Grand Prairie ISD: Crosswinds High School - http://www.gpisd.or