Shooting at Broadway Square Mall kills Chapel Hill man

TYLER (KYTX) - A former Chapel Hill High School athlete is dead, another man charged with his murder.

The shooting happened just after nine this morning at Broadway Square Mall in Tyler.

It happened even before stores opened this morning at the mall.

Tyler Police say social media is what started the fight that moved outside and ended with one man firing multiple shots.

Emotions took over at Broadway Square Mall when family and friends learned 23-year-old Chris Mass was shot and killed.

"I didn't really see exactly what happened, just heard the shots and that's when we were like, what's going on?" says Blanca Gallegos.

Gallegos came early to buy shoes at Champs when she heard 25-year-old Ricky Neal, Junior allegedly fire shots.

Tyler Police say the fight started when Neal tweeted another man's girlfriend, Neal saw that man inside the mall and confronted him and his friends.

"De said let's go outside and take care of it, let's go outside and fight," says Tyler Police Officer Don Martin.

"He said all he did was ask the dude what his name was and he said, I'm gonna show y'all, I'm gonna show y'all. He said Chris came behind him, he took off his shirt, the dude reached in the car and he just started shooting," says LsShounda Dews, who's husband was with Mass.

She says she got a frantic call when he was running away from Neal.

"He said 'he shot Chris! I think he shot him like two or three times! I seen all the blood!" He said he was running ducking behind cars and the dude was still shooting. By the time he called me back, the police and the sirens and all of that," says Dews.

Tyler Police found Mass dead in the parking lot, shot twice by a .40 caliber handgun.

Investigators say the other men were not carrying weapons.

An emotional event, that took place in a very public setting.

"Get it together, there's no reason for people to be fighting over nonsense. It's somebody's child, somebody's family, somebody's daughter, son," says Gallegos.

We do know mall security was the first on the scene after the shooting.

The general manager told us today the officer helped as he could until police arrived.

The general manager says it was an isolated incident and there are no extra security measure they can take.

He says the safety of their customers is the top priority.

Police say the other two men who ran away from the gunfire were not injured.

Neal is in the Smith County jail on a more than one million dollar bond.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment