Smoke alarm saves sleeping woman

Update:: (KYTX) Smith County Assistant Fire Marshal Connie Wasson tells CBS19 the fire originated in the living room of the home that caught fire Thursday morning around 8:30 a.m.

Wasson and homeowner Patricia Scott confirm a table with a tablecloth on it was too close to Scott's space heater and caught fire.

It's recommended you keep all items at least 3 feet away from a space heater to be on the safe side. Wasson also advises you to check smoke detectors every 6 months, and replace batteries. 

___________

BY KENNETH DEAN, kdean@tylerpaper.com

(TYLER MORNING TELEGRAPH) - A blaring smoke alarm and a barking dog woke Patricia Scott in time to escape her burning house this morning. 

Smith County Assistant Fire Marshal Connie McCoy-Wasson said she and other investigators with her department are currently digging through the fire to determine a cause.

"We are right in the middle of it now, so we haven't made that determination at this time," she said at the location at 10299 County Road 3197.

Ms. McCoy-Wasson said Ms. Scott was asleep in the home when she awoke to the screeching of her smoke alarm and her dog barking. 

"She walked out of the bedroom to see another room on fire. She was able to get out and the fire department was able to put a quick stop on it," she said.

 

She added the woman's daughter had already left for school so she was not home at the time of the fire. 

No injuries were reported.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS