Rusk County wants it's top ten criminals behind bars. The list includes elusive repeat offenders police say are living free in East Texas. CBS 19's Monique Bird explains what police are doing to nab these criminals and how you can help.
Rusk County Sheriff's Sergeant, Viki Penny, is busy sorting through Crime Stoppers tips.
"My phone's already been ringing off the wall," says Penny.
... For a new list of the county's ten most wanted:
- 28-year-old Kyle W. Lawson, wanted for injury to a child
- 29-year-old Shelley R. Cook, wanted for secure execution of document by deception
- 42-year-old Angel J. Rocha, wanted for indecency with child sexual contact
- 43-year-old Billy J. Shipman, wanted for burglary of habitation
- 47-year-old Eddie A. Walker, wanted for theft of wire/cable copper
- 37-year-old Amy Jane Brooks, wanted for DWI with child under 15
- 32-year-old Hugo Contreras, wanted for theft of material aluminum/bronze/copper
- 20-year-old Brandon D. Carey, wanted for burglary of habitation
- 33-year-old Amanda McDaniel Jimerson, wanted for tampering/fabricating physical evidence with/ intent to impair
- 57-year-old Randy Daniels, wanted for 3rd or more DWI
"A lot them have multiple warrants," says Penny. "And then some of them just have a long list of crime."
"I think it would be a good deal if they could catch them," says Amy Fuller of Henderson. "I would feel safer if they got them off the street."
It's good news to Fuller, whose house was broken into four years ago.
"I felt really invaded," says Fuller. "It was me and my little girl. I felt really invaded." AF 1 S
A feeling Penny doesn't want others to have to deal with. That's why the sheriff's department is asking people to get involved by calling Rusk County Crime Stoppers.
"If it doesn't come through our tip line, then we're not authorized to pay the reward," says Penny.
Rewards are usually up to $1,000. But Penny says since the full reward is rarely earned, Crime Stoppers offering a guaranteed amount for it's ten most wanted...
"It's $500 per person, per arrest, that's featured on the top 10," says Penny.
"Safer environment," says Fuller. "Keep people safe in their homes."
In Henderson - Rusk County, Monique Bird, KYTX CBS 19 News.
That guaranteed 500-dolllar reward for the top-ten is good through the end of august.
Anyone with information about those on the list and their alleged crimes should contact Rusk County Crime Stoppers. The number 903-655-TIPS. All tips will remain anonymous.