Suspected gunman in college shooting arrested in Plano

HOUSTON (KHOU) — The suspected gunman in the Lone Star College's North Harris campus shooting was arrested in Plano overnight by the Gulf Coast Violent Offenders Task Force and returned to Houston Friday morning.

Trey Foster, 22, arrived back in Houston around 6:30 a.m. to face aggravated assault charges.

Three people were wounded Tuesday after Foster opened fire during an argument with another man. He fled town after that, while authorities scrambled to try and find out what exactly happened. Immediately following the shooting, Foster's 22-year-old friend, Carlton Berry, was charged with the crime, but that may have been a mistake.

Berry, one of the shooting victims, told his side of the story while recovering at Ben Taub Hospital.

Berry said he and Foster were walking on campus when a man named Jody Neal bumped into Foster. Foster and Neal argued briefly, then went their separate ways.

Thirty minutes later, Foster, Berry and Neal crossed paths again at the doorway of the Academic Building and the argument flared up again. That is when Foster pulled out a gun and started shooting, according to court documents.

Neal was shot in the abdomen and the leg. He ran to the library and collapsed.

Bobby Cliburn, a 69-year-old campus maintenance man, was an innocent bystander. He was shot in the leg.

"He just started shooting," said Cliburn. "He didn't waste any time."

Before he had a chance to duck for cover, it was too late.

"I tried to duck in behind one of the columns and he got me before I could do it," Cliburn said.

Berry was hit in the hip. Investigators initially said Berry shot himself in the buttocks when he tried to put his gun back in his pants, but there was no gun found on the scene.

Neal identified Berry as the shooter when he was being carried past him on a stretcher.

After getting Berry's side of the story, authorities showed Neal a photo lineup with Foster on Wednesday. Neal then identified Foster as the gunman, saying he made a mistake when he identified Berry earlier because Foster and Berry were both wearing red shirts.

"Once everyone has time to reflect back and review photo spreads and remember what has occurred and review any photos or video surveillance, they are much better able to determine what they saw and who they saw do it," said Alison Baimbridge, Harris County Assistant District Attorney.

The task force tracked Foster to Plano and took him into custody. KHOU 11 News was on the scene when the handcuffed suspect returned. The gun was also recovered, but the only thing missing was a full explanation from Foster about what happened.

When KHOU 11 News asked about Tuesday's shooting, Foster only responded with "What happened?"

When asked if he knew Carlton Berry, Foster said, "yes I do."

Berry's mother, Michelle Felix, is both relieved and furious now that evidence shows her son was not the gunman, after all.

"My son has been blasted over 50 states. It is very, very devastating how they has taken my child and just made him out as this monster," Felix said.

Meantime, Foster's grandma is worried sick about her grandson. Mary Bingley said Foster went to Lone Star College Tuesday to check on getting his barber's license. No one had any idea that outing would capture the attention of the nation.

Records show Foster has a criminal history that includes charges of resisting arrest and possession of a prohibited weapon.  There is no word yet on whether charges against Berry will be dropped.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories