Thanksgiving night apartment fire displaces five people in Longview

LONGVIEW/GREGG COUNTY (KYTX) - Longview firefighters responded to a fire at a two-apartment duplex building in the 100 block of Houston Street at 7:22 p.m. Thursday night.

According to Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary, the fire originated in the attic above Apartment 130. The fire damaged much of that apartment, where four people lived. Apartment 128, where another person resides, suffered only minor smoke damage.

Neither family had renter's insurance, but American Red Cross services were not requested, Zackary said. The people living in Apartment 130 are getting help from family, he said.

Zackary added that the cause of the fire appears to be faulty repairs made to the building's electrical wiring system. No criminal charges will be filed, but if it is determined that the repairs were made by an unlicensed electrician, the landlord could receive municipal citations, the fire marshal said.

According to Gregg County Appraisal District records, the building is owned by Bowles Real Estate.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment