Tyler home recognized as historical landmark

TYLER (KYTX) - Tyler's Historic Landmark Designation has recognized the original home of Shirley Simons, Sr. as a historic landmark.

Located in the Azalea District at 118 West Fourth Street, the former Simons residence has been home to the Roberts & Roberts Law Firm for the past 24 years.

On Tuesday, September 10th from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Mayor Barbara Bass and the City Council of Tyler will conduct a commemoration ceremony to present a plaque honoring the newly recognized historic landmark. During this ceremony they will also acknowledge Roberts & Roberts for their contribution in the designation of this historic landmark and the firm will host a reception and provide a tour of the building at the event.

Born in Tyler, Shirley Simons, Sr. attended Rice University of Architecture and returned to Tyler in 1928 to establish his architectural firm. He was one of the earliest architects to be licensed under the 1936 registration law for architects in the State of Texas.

Using various design styles such as Tudor, Classical Revival and Modern, Simons is known for his vast architectural contributions to the city including Bergfeld Park, Marvin United Methodist church, St. Gregory Elementary School, Tyler City Hall, Tyler Junior College, Tyler Little Theatre, Tyler U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, White House (a.k.a. The Castle), Willow Brook Country Club, an now the historically recognized Shirley Simons Residence.

 


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment