Tyler Komen affiliate awards $250K in grants

TYLER (TYLER MORNING TELEGRAPH) - The Tyler affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure awarded grants of more than $252,000 to East Texas nonprofit organizations for breast health education, screening and services.

The funds for the grants were raised at the 2012 Komen Tyler Race for the Cure, Ride for the Cure and individual contributions, according to a statement from the Tyler Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

"These programs allow Susan G. Komen to reach thousands of women in East Texas. Our grantees are also our partners in breast health education and in carrying out our mission," Jennifer Watkins, executive director, said in the statement.

The grants review panel was comprised of local community members who reviewed all requests.

Additionally, $10,000 is available for small grants, and applications will be available through komentyler.org.

Grantees are as follows:
Northeast Texas Public Health District Breast Health and Screening Initiative awarded $229,721.

This program will provide clinical services for breast screenings and diagnostics for low-income, uninsured or underinsured women, at risk women, those under the age of 50 or those who are symptomatic and not eligible for diagnostic services.

East Texas Medical Center Cancer Institute Breast Care Center Pin-A-Sister™ Program awarded $7,400.

The ETMC Breast Care Center program Pin-A-Sister Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign is considered a landmark means of raising breast cancer awareness and the importance of early detection among African-American women in Smith County. The program, which originally pioneered in Chicago, is a meaningful outreach designed to reduce disparities in access to screenings and treatment. Women pledge their commitment, in a church service or other ceremony, to early breast cancer detection by pinning each other with the Pin-A-Sister lapel pin.

American Cancer Society Reach to Recovery and Transportation Program awarded $15,627

The American Cancer Society will provide transportation services to breast cancer survivors. This includes gas cards, Road to Recovery volunteer drivers and cab vouchers. Smith County has active Reach to Recovery volunteers who visit newly diagnosed breast cancer patients to offer recovery supplies (breast prostheses, wigs and recovery bras), information and support.

The transportation and recovery services, provided free of charge, assure the patient moves smoothly through the continuum of care.

Komen Tyler, along with those who support the group with their talent, time and resources, is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Komen Tyler Affiliate stay in Smith County. The remaining 25 percent goes to the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure Grants Program for energizing science to find the cures.

The 15th Anniversary Tyler Race for the Cure will be May 11. Visit www.ko mentyler.org to register or to find other information about the 2013 Race.

Online registration is open now and continues through May 3 to have your packet mailed to you. Race week registration will be May 8 through 10 at The Market at the Crossing from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Race Day registration begins at 6:30 a.m.

For more information about the Komen Tyler Race for the Cure visit www.ko mentyler.org or call the local affiliate office at 903 561-6992.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment