Update: Longtime East Texas DJ dies in Christmas Day house fire

KILGORE (KYTX) -- Longtime East Texas DJ Allen McGee died Sunday morning after his Kilgore home caught fire and he was unable to escape.

McGee, 39, was sleeping in his home on Sycamore Road when it caught fire just after 8:00 am Christmas morning. Crews were able to extinguish the flames, but it appears McGee was overcome by heat and smoke and was unable to escape.

McGee was a longtime mid-day DJ at 96X in Tyler.

"He was fun. He was funny. He just loved life. He loved to experience everything there was to experience when it came to life," 96X Programming Director Jeff Evans said. "We've got an intern who's on the way up the ranks here and I said 'Here's your homework. Listen to Allen and do everything that he does,' because he was perfect."

The station released the following statement to the public regarding McGee's death.

We are sad to report that 96X mid-day jock Allen McGee was killed in a house fire in Kilgore last night.

Allen was a good friend and one of the best on-air personalities we have ever had the opportunity to know. It's not often that we, as radio people, are left speechless.  Today we are. Nothing can put into words our shock and sadness at the loss of such a talent – and friend – especially on Christmas day. Our thoughts and prayers are will Allen's family – especially his kids.

Allen loved life and knew how to live it – to its fullest.

McGee's final sign off Saturday afternoon is below:

Have yourself a fine Christmas Eve. Be safe and be careful as you go gallivanting around and I hope Santa Claus brings you everything you ever wanted.

An autopsy will be performed to determine McGee's cause of death. The fire is still under investigation.

McGee's funeral will be Friday at 10am at the Radar Funeral home in Kilgore. The visitation is Thursday at 6pm.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment