UPDATE: New details released in Oct. 21 standoff in Longview

UPDATE: New details have been released in the Oct. 21 standoff between Gregg County sheriff's deputies, DPS troopers and a 21-year-old Longview man in the 500 block of Hidden Forest Road.

Jesus Salaiz remains in the Gregg County Jail today on $151,000 bond, charged with resisting arrest and three counts of aggravated assault against a public servant.

According to arrest warrants filed Monday in Gregg County's District Clerk Office, Salaiz's mother, Melissa Alvarado, contacted police from a neighbor's house shortly after 10 p.m. on Oct. 21 after Salaiz appeared intoxicated and off his medication for anxiety and bi-polar mental health issues. He later retrieved an assault rifle.

Authorities say Salaiz shined a red laser-type light at the torso and forehead areas of sheriff's deputies during a more than hour-long standoff, according to the warrant. DPS Trooper James Ammons fired a shot from his duty-issued AR-15 rifle that missed Salaiz but forced him to retreat back into the residence.

"Eventually, after about an hour, Trooper Roy Tower was able to get (Salaiz) to drop his firearm and surrender to deputies and troopers through verbal negotiations. After some resistance, deputies and troopers were able to subdue (Salaiz) and place him under their custody. The defendant was then taken to Good Shepherd Medical Center to be medically evaluated. Deputies and troopers were able to clear the residence and, while doing so, found an AK-47 with a loaded drum-magazine as well as a loaded 12-gauge shotgun. The deputies and troopers on scene were wearing distinct uniforms and arrived in patrol vehicles clearly identifying them as peace officers," the warrant showed.



LONGVIEW (KYTX) - A Longview man is in jail tonight after a stand-off with deputies and state police.

Gregg County Sheriff's deputies were called to Hidden Forest Road in north Longview after neighbors reported 21-year-old Jesus Salaiz waving a rifle in the neighborhood.

Deputies say Salaiz would walk in and out of the house with and without the gun to talk with officers who surrounded the home.

The stand-off ended early Monday morning.

Neighbors say they are proud of the way the situation was handled.

"We listened to it for almost and hour, the professionalism, the way they handled it with trying to calm him down was just amazing," neighbor Theresa Rowe said.

Salaiz is still in jail on 51 thousand dollars bond.

He is charged with aggravated assault on a public servant and resisting arrest.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment