UPDATE: Second hospital stabbing victim dies

Candlelight vigil remembers, celebrates hospital stabbing victims

UPDATE (12/5/2013) -- 82-year-old Harris Teel became the second victim to die following last week's stabbing at Longview's Good Shepherd Medical Center.

"On behalf of the family, we are sad to inform you that Harris K. Teel passed away at 3:25 a.m. Thursday," GSMC Executive Director of Marketing and Public Relations Victoria Ashworth said. "His family was at his side in prayer. While the family never gave up, they accept this outcome and appreciate the thoughts and prayers of so many during this time of tragedy and loss. At this time, they request and appreciate their privacy as they grieve."

Longview police said Teel had suffered stab wounds to the heart and lungs when 22-year-old Kyron Templeton attacked him.

Police plan to consult with the Gregg County District Attorney's office in regard to the charges currently filed against the suspect, Kyron Rayshawn Templeton.

Teel's son-in-law, Gary Borders, published a blog entry on November 28 regarding what happened to Teel.

"He was there waiting to take his son home after a procedure," Borders wrote.

Borders said Teel was a high school football star with the Atlanta Jackrabbits. Teel later received an offer to play football for LSU. The family lore is that he set one foot on campus, decided it was too big, and came home to East Texas.

Borders described Teel as a quiet patriarch who was devoted to a loving family.

"There isn't anything he wouldn't do for any of his family," Borders said. "That is why he was in that waiting room, after all, helping out. We have been overwhelmed by the prayers of friends, strangers, the staff at Good Shepherd — everyone."

LONGVIEW (KYTX) -- Amidst the hundreds of people singing "Amazing Grace" in unison Monday night, the real amazing grace may have been the four people who survived a deadly stabbing at Good Shepherd Medical Center.

Candles burned for Karen Bobo, Teresa Allen, Melissa Sims and Harris Teel. Bobo, Allen and Sims are recovering from stab wounds at home. Teel remains in critical condition.

In the dark parking lot, nurse Gail Sandidge may have been the brightest light. She was the only one who was killed last Tuesday.

"People that we don't even know [have been] sending messages of having seen the story and they just simply say 'You don't know me. I just want your family to know we're thinking about you and praying for you,'" Sandidge's sister Debbie Pritchett said.

Pritchett said she spent her whole life trying to be like her big sister--never expecting to lose her like this.

"If I could be just a smidgen of the kind of person that she was," Pritchett lamented.

Surrounded by people her sister had cared for--on both sides of the hospital wall--Pritchett couldn't help but smile.

"It was just her nature if someone needed help for her to be there or for her to step in," Pritchett said.

With their heads bowed, people like Pat Brownlee looked not for answers, but for peace.

"[When I heard what happened,] I thought not in Longview Texas. Not Good Shepherd. Because I come here," Brownlee said. "You know, I was amazed. I was appalled."

Brownlee's wanted to take the focus off what happened and look instead into the face of hope.

As it happens, hope is the one thing Sandidge's family said they'll see long after the candles get blown out.

"We continue to rest on our hope," Pritchett said. "And that hope is in Christ Jesus we're going to see [my sister] again."

Hospital administrators said they believe the vigil was a first step in the longer road to a communal healing after the tragedy.

22-year-old Kyron Templeton was arrested the day of the stabbings and charged with aggravated assault and murder. He remains in the Gregg County Jail on $2.6 million bond.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment