Upshur County DA wants ex-commissioner's bond revoked, re-arrested

GILMER (TYLER MORNING TELEGRAPH) — Upshur County District Attorney Billy Byrd filed a motion today to have a former county commissioner's bond revoked and have the ex-official re-arrested on multiple charges related to an October incident in which he and his son are accused of holding a state game warden at gunpoint.

Byrd said today he filed the motion against 51-year-old former County Commissioner Lloyd Crabtree on grounds that Crabtree "failed to comply with bond conditions" that he surrender all his guns and ammunition to a Texas Ranger by 6 p.m. Thursday.

Byrd said he believed Crabtree's father had surrendered a shotgun and rifle for the ex-commissioner — but no ammunition — to the Ranger Thursday. The district attorney said "I believe I have evidence" that Lloyd Crabtree had not surrendered everything he was required to.

The motion was filed with 115th District Judge Lauren Parish, asking for an immediate hearing to let the state show proof of its charge, Byrd said. She had not responded as of early this afternoon, and Byrd said no warrant has been issued for the ex-commissioner's re-arrest.

Byrd said he had no evidence that Crabtree's 28-year-old son, Todd Allen Crabtree, failed to surrender all his guns and ammunition as required under his bond conditions. Three guns belonging to the younger Crabtree were turned in, Byrd said.

The Crabtrees were released Wednesday night from Upshur County Jail after Judge Parish lowered their bonds from $1.5 million each to $150,000 for the former commissioner and $100,000 for his son. They had turned themselves in the prior Friday, when the county grand jury indicted them on multiple felony charges stemming from the October incident.

A condition of the Crabtrees' lowered bond was that they turn in all firearms and ammunition they own to the Ranger at the Texas Department of Public Safety office in Gilmer by 6 p.m. Thursday.

The father and son are charged in an incident in which The Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife has said Game Warden Shane Bailey was disarmed and detained by two armed men when he went onto private property to check on possible hunting law violations.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment