Victim's mother awaits grand jury decision in Longview pedestrian death


LONGVIEW/GREGG COUNTY (KYTX) - It's been almost three months, but still no indictment in the November 21st wreck that killed a Longview man.

At some point it is expected that the Gregg County District Attorney's Office will present a case involving Sarah Reeves, who is accused of striking and killing a young man on a Longview street one day before Thanksgiving.

Lenay Okeke is holding one of her son's favorite books  -- a children's story about a mother's devotion to her child, and about that child's devotion to his mother later in life.

It's one of the few things she has left to remind her of her son... 24-year-old Lynden Alexander Bell.

"It's been 82 days since I heard my son's voice," Okeke said.

On November 21st -- just a few hours before Thanksgiving  --  Bell was walking along Lee Street when he was hit by a Jeep. Thirty-four-year-old Sarah Reeves was driving the SUV.

Bell was taken to Good Shepherd Medical Center.

Reeves was arrested for driving while intoxicated, and was released on bond a few hours later. Bell died the next day.

"This is the hardest thing that I've endured in my entire life," Okeke said, "and I've not had an easy life."

A neighbor who lives near where the wreck happened didn't want to go on camera, but says he told police that reeves asked him to hide a 12-pack of beer that she had in her Jeep. The man says he refused and instead alerted police.

The Gregg County District Attorney's Office says it has received the investigation report from Longview police. The next step is presenting the case to a grand jury.

"I know that there are three things that have to be proven, and we have two out of the three. The last one was to prove that intoxication was the cause of her hitting Lynden," Okeke said.

If reeves is indicted, she will have to be booked into the Gregg County Jail again -- this time, on a charge of intoxication manslaughter.

"I have a great fear that it's been kept so quiet that it's going to be forgotten about, you know, and by the time that we do eventually get to taking it to trial, that it won't be fresh on anybody's mind. That it won't be important," Okeke said.

Tonight, Sarah Reeves remains out of jail on $1,000 bond. No other charges except for driving while intoxicated have been filed against her.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment