Thanksgiving night apartment fire displaces five people - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Thanksgiving night apartment fire displaces five people in Longview

Posted: Updated:

LONGVIEW/GREGG COUNTY (KYTX) - Longview firefighters responded to a fire at a two-apartment duplex building in the 100 block of Houston Street at 7:22 p.m. Thursday night.

According to Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary, the fire originated in the attic above Apartment 130. The fire damaged much of that apartment, where four people lived. Apartment 128, where another person resides, suffered only minor smoke damage.

Neither family had renter's insurance, but American Red Cross services were not requested, Zackary said. The people living in Apartment 130 are getting help from family, he said.

Zackary added that the cause of the fire appears to be faulty repairs made to the building's electrical wiring system. No criminal charges will be filed, but if it is determined that the repairs were made by an unlicensed electrician, the landlord could receive municipal citations, the fire marshal said.

According to Gregg County Appraisal District records, the building is owned by Bowles Real Estate.

Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2004 - 2014, WorldNow and KYTX, Owned and Operated by London Broadcasting Company.
All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.