Early morning fire kills mom, injures daughter - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Early morning fire kills mom, injures daughter

Posted: Updated:
Charles 'Chuck' Allen Fire Marshal/Environmental Charles 'Chuck' Allen Fire Marshal/Environmental
Charles 'Chuck' Allen Fire Marshal/Environmental Charles 'Chuck' Allen Fire Marshal/Environmental
Charles 'Chuck' Allen Fire Marshal/Environmental Charles 'Chuck' Allen Fire Marshal/Environmental

UPDATE: FRUITVALE (CBSDFW.COM) – A 41-year-old woman died and her 14-year-old daughter was seriously burned after fire swept through their rural Van Zandt County home Tuesday morning.

The fire erupted at the family's single-wide mobile home off County Road 1129 outside Fruitvale around 12:30 a.m., said Van Zandt County fire marshal Chuck Allen. The woman's 16-year-old son was sleeping in the living room along with other children and smelled smoke.  He was able to get out and break the bedroom window to get his sister free. Two others – ages 18 and 20 -  were able to escape the flames and were not hurt.

The injured 14-year-old was taken via air ambulance to Parkland Hospital in Dallas.  She is currently in intensive care, but is expected to make a full recovery. The brother who rescued his sister was also taken to Parkland and was treated and released.

A fireman suffered minor injuries fighting the fire and was taken a nearby hospital and was also treated and released.Allen said the fire was caused by a space heater that was placed too close to a pile of clothing.

The name of the victim has not yet been released until other family members can be notified. The woman's husband passed away earlier this year, Allen said. Firefighters with the Fruitvale and Grand Saline Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the scene along with the Van Zandt County Sheriff's office.


FRUITVALE (KYTX) - A fire in Van Zandt County leaves one woman dead and her 14-year-old son seriously injured.

It happened around 12:30 this morning on Van Zandt County Road 1129 -- that's just outside the town of Fruitvale. According to the Van Zandt County Sheriff's Office, a space heater was placed too close to a pile of clothing. The son had burns to his arms and hands and was airlifted to Parkland Hospital in Dallas.

Two other people were inside the home at the time, but wasn't hurt.

Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.