Fire crews on scene of explosion on Loop 323 and Copeland Rd - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

UPDATE: 3 injured in south Tyler house explosion

Posted: Updated:
  • CBS19.tv Web ExclusivesMore>>

  • Web Exclusive: Company cancels class to nix Southern accents, y'all, after complaints

    Web Exclusive: Company cancels class to nix Southern accents, y'all, after complaints

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 12:00 PM EDT2014-07-30 16:00:17 GMT
    We live in the South, so some of us may have a Southern accent, but would you consider saying "goodbye" to "howdy, y'all"?
    The Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee was going to offer a speech class for its workers next month to do just that, until it got canceled.
    More >>
    We live in the South, so some of us may have a Southern accent, but would you consider saying "goodbye" to "howdy, y'all"?
    The Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee was going to offer a speech class for its workers next month to do just that, until it got canceled.
    More >>
  • Web Exclusive: Ultra HD TVs

    Web Exclusive: Ultra HD TVs

    (CNN) -Some people just have to have the latest in television technology. The newest TVs on the market- ultra-high definition TVs- or UHD TVs. They have higher screen resolution than current high def screens, and are also known as "4-K" sets. "More >>
    (CNN) -Some people just have to have the latest in television technology. The newest TVs on the market- ultra-high definition TVs- or UHD TVs. They have higher screen resolution than current high def screens, and are also known as "4-K" sets. "More >>
  • Web Exclusive: A product to help keep sharks away on sale

    Web Exclusive: A product to help keep sharks away on sale

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:40 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:40:46 GMT
    If you're headed on a beach vacation, there's a product you may be interested in to help keep sharks away.  The device is called a Shark Shield.  It is now being sold in Florida.More >>
    If you're headed on a beach vacation, there's a product you may be interested in to help keep sharks away.  The device is called a Shark Shield.  It is now being sold in Florida.More >>

One man was hospitalized at Parkland Hospital's burn unit in Dallas and two others were treated for minor injuries following a house explosion just before noon Wednesday in the 1400 block of E SE Loop 323.

"I was home for lunch, heard this big explosion," Lisa Lunsford said. "I thought it might have been a car accident so I go out the back door looking over the fence there and I saw a lot of smoke."

In those first few minutes, the idea that a neighbor's house had exploded never entered Lunsford's mind. She walked a few hundred feet from her home to the one that exploded, hoping to help. Just a few minutes before noon it was the intense smoke and heat that finally made her realize what happened.

"There was a guy that had come out of the house that was on fire," she said. "It was obvious that it was an explosion in the house. It rattled my windows so it was that powerful."

That man was a construction worker helping to re-model the house. He was working by himself to re-finish the floors.

"We have found lacquer thinner, a fairly large amount, inside there and floor machines," Tyler Fire Marshal Paul Findley said. "It looks like they were doing some kind of work on floors, the concrete in there."

Findley said the paint thinner probably fueled the fire, but figuring out what sparked it was tough because investigators had to wait to make sure the damaged walls didn't collapse.

"The walls and especially the bricks are pushed outward," Findley said. "So there was significant force inside that structure."

"Thank God no one else was in there," Lunsford said. "I just hope and pray that he's going to be okay. He was a little coherent. He could speak."

The man who was burned inside the home was listed in critical condition Wednesday night at Parkland Hospital.

One of the other victims was Corey Hoover, an investigator for the Smith County District Attorney's office. He drove by immediately after the accident, stopped to help, and inhaled too much smoke as he attempted to search the home for additional victims. He and one other good Samaritan are expected to be fine.

Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.