Jacksonville residents hear explosion before escaping burning - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Jacksonville residents escape burning building

Posted: Updated:

JACKSONVILLE (KYTX) -Scary moments for some Jacksonville residents after hearing an explosion and seeing fire. Around 12:00 Sunday morning, the Jacksonville Fire Department was called to the 200 block of Main Street to the Yum Yum's restaurant.


Jacksonville fire crews worked with neighboring fire departments to put out the major flames.

Nearly half a day after the fire tore through the business, smoke continued to rise. Crews were later called out to hose down the smoke again.

Jacksonville resident Ron Gowin was there when crew battled the blaze and caught the action on his cell phone.

"I got down here around 12:30 the entire building was pretty much engulfed in flames at that point," said Gowin.

A couple of nearby businesses got some heavy damage. The majority of the damage happened at the Yum Yum's restaurant. Gowin said he's happy no one was hurt, but the fire destroyed a historic building.

"It's a turn of the century late 1800's building...Probably one of the most historic ones on this block," said Gowen.

Witnesses told CBS 19, they heard an explosion. They said the business owners live above the restaurant and they were the ones to call for help.

"At this point you know when you hear the word explosion it's kind of scary," said neighboring business owner Nancy Brunner.

She said with the recent west explosion on her mind she had to make sure her business was fine. It was but she was interested in seeing the extent of damages.

 Gowin said he wouldn't call it an explosion. "Popping really and truly it sounded like gunfire."

Powered by WorldNow

2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.