Police: Australian baseball player killed by Oklahoma teens -- j - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Police: Australian baseball player killed by Oklahoma teens -- just because

Posted: Updated:

(CNN) -- A random act of violence has left a promising 22-year-old college baseball player dead, a family devastated and two countries half a world apart rattled.

Christopher Lane, who's from Australia, was gunned down in Duncan, Oklahoma, while he was out jogging last week. The motive? Three teens who had nothing better to do, according to police.

"They witnessed a young man run by on the street. Chose him as the target," Police Chief Danny Ford told CNN affiliate KSWO.

When police eventually arrested the three teens -- ages 15, 16 and 17 -- one of them offered up a motive that made clear that Lane, who attended East Central University on a baseball scholarship, was chosen at random.

"He said the motive was, 'We were going to kill somebody,'" Ford told Australian radio station 3AW.

"They decided all three of them were going to kill somebody."

A brutal crime

Police say the teens shot Lane in the back in the town of about 24,000 and sped away in their car.

"There were some people that saw him stagger across the road, go to a kneeling position and collapse on the side of the road," Ford told KSWO.

Attempts to revive Lane failed.

Police caught the teens a few hours after the shooting. Thanks to security cameras from local businesses, police saw their car speeding down the street.

Details of pending charges against the teens have not yet been released. They were scheduled to appear in court Tuesday afternoon.

Half a world away

Nearly 10,000 miles away in Australia, Lane's family struggled to cope with the news.

"He's left his mark as we know, and you know there's not going to be any good come out of this, because it was just so senseless," Christopher's father, Peter Lane, said. "It's happened. It's wrong, and we're just trying and deal with it the best we can."

Lane's girlfriend, Sarah Harper, posted an emotional tribute on Facebook, saying "you will always be mine and in a very special and protected place in my heart."

Friends and strangers alike posted condolences on another Facebook page, honoring the slain baseball player.

"Such a sad waste of a young man's life," one poster wrote.

"Know that many Americans are sorry for this tragedy and want justice for Chris," wrote another. "God bless."

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Vikings deactivate Adrian Peterson indefinitely

    Vikings deactivate Adrian Peterson indefinitely

    Wednesday, September 17 2014 6:53 AM EDT2014-09-17 10:53:46 GMT
    The Minnesota Vikings placed Adrian Peterson on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission list, requiring the running back to abstain from team activities during his child-abuse case, the team announced Wednesday morning. The East Texas native was indicted last Thursday on a charge that he injured his 4-year-old son by spanking him with a tree branch. More >>
    The Minnesota Vikings placed Adrian Peterson on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission list, requiring the running back to abstain from team activities during his child-abuse case, the team announced Wednesday morning. The East Texas native was indicted last Thursday on a charge that he injured his 4-year-old son by spanking him with a tree branch. More >>
  • UPDATE: Thomas Liles indicted on tampering with physical evidence in Quitman toddlers death case

    UPDATE: Thomas Liles indicted on tampering with physical evidence in Quitman toddlers death case

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-09-16 21:20:10 GMT
    Thomas Liles (photo: Wood Co. Jail) Thomas Liles (photo: Wood Co. Jail)
    UPDATE: QUITMAN (KYTX) - A Wood County grand jury has indicted Thomas Wayne Liles on a charge of tampering with physical evidence after his girlfriend's children were found dead July 24, 2014.More >>
    UPDATE: QUITMAN (KYTX) - A Wood County grand jury has indicted Thomas Wayne Liles on a charge of tampering with physical evidence after his girlfriend's children were found dead July 24, 2014. More >>
  • Obama outlines expanded plan to fight Ebola

    Obama outlines expanded plan to fight Ebola

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 5:03 PM EDT2014-09-16 21:03:55 GMT
    (Photo: Mandel Ngan, AFP/Getty Images)(Photo: Mandel Ngan, AFP/Getty Images)
    Calling Ebola a threat to both global health and national security threat, President Obama said Tuesday he is sending 3,000 troops to West Africa to help contain the deadly virus and prevent it from spreading to the United States and across the globe.More >>
    Calling Ebola a threat to both global health and national security threat, President Obama said Tuesday he is sending 3,000 troops to West Africa to help contain the deadly virus and prevent it from spreading to the United States and across the globe.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.