Two Gregg Co. homes evacuated, one hospitalized after gas leak - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Railroad commission: Leak at Gregg Co. oil storage station contained

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: A leak at the Gibson Energy-Bateman station oil storage facility on Texas 31 has been secured and is no longer leaking, Texas Railroad Commission spokeswoman Ramona Nye said this afternoon.

The leak was caused by leaking hatches on storage tanks containing oil, Nye said. The hatches have been secured, and the operator is in the process of repairing the hatches to prevent any potential future leaks. She said carbon monoxide was not released but instead hydrocarbon fumes.


 

UPDATE: At about 3 this morning, investigators with the Texas Railroad Commission arrived at the scene of a gas leak near Kilgore, Kilgore Fire Chief Johnny Bellows said this morning.

Kilgore firefighters were dispatched to the scene at Gibson Energy, in the 2300 block of Texas Highway 31, at 10:18 Thursday night, Bellows said.

 


 

 

KILGORE/GREGG COUNTY (KYTX) - At least two homes have been evacuated and one person was sent to an area hospital after a gas leak along Texas Highway 31 about one-half mile west of Kilgore's city boundaries, according to multiple reports.

Shortly after 1 a.m. Friday, Gregg County public safety communicators dispatched sheriff's deputies to the 2300 block of Highway 31 and Dick Jones Road to ask people to evacuate their homes. Sabine Volunteer Fire Department also helped in the evacuations.

Kilgore Fire Department and an employee with Gibson Energy was at the scene of a Gibson Energy's gas plant on Texas 31, just east of Dick Jones Road. A district fire chief who did not give his name said, "We have it under control here," and he said no one living near the plant who was not evacuated is in any danger.

Kimberly Paredes said she was transported by ambulance to Good Shepherd Medical Center-Kilgore, where she was diagnosed with acute toxic gas exposure. She said hospital staff and a Kilgore district fire chief told her the gas was carbon monoxide. She was discharged just as her family of four were asked by authorities to leave their home.

"We smelled bad gas about two or three days ago and wasn't thinking anything of it," Paredes said while packing the family's truck, "and my mom and I have been getting really sick for the last two days. And so I told my mom, 'Mom, maybe we ought to call out the fire truck and see if they can detect what's going on out here."

Paredes said Gibson Energy was putting her family up in a local hotel while company crews work on the leak. She said only two homes were evacuated on Dick Jones Road "because we're on the tank line."

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Girl, 4, allegedly killed by her mom is laid to rest

    Girl, 4, allegedly killed by her mom is laid to rest

    Monday, July 28 2014 5:38 PM EDT2014-07-28 21:38:53 GMT
    ATHENS (KYTX) - A four-year-old Athens girl Victoria Wyatt has been laid to rest, a little less than a week after her mother confessed to killing her.More >>
    ATHENS (KYTX) - A four-year-old Athens girl Victoria Wyatt has been laid to rest, a little less than a week after her mother confessed to killing her.More >>
  • 1 dead, 13 injured after lightning strikes Southern California

    1 dead, 13 injured after lightning strikes Southern California

    A sunny day at California's famed Venice Beach took a dark turn Sunday when one person died and a dozen others were injured after a rare lightning strike. A man in his mid-20s died at the hospital after being transported from Venice Beach.More >>
    A sunny day at California's famed Venice Beach took a dark turn Sunday when one person died and a dozen others were injured after a rare lightning strike. A man in his mid-20s died at the hospital after being transported from Venice Beach.More >>
  • SPECIAL REPORT: You Don't Know Where That's Been

    SPECIAL REPORT: You Don't Know Where That's Been

    After a few disastrous flu seasons, and recent increases in staph infections nationwide, spreading germs is becoming more and more serious. In a special report, we tested a bunch of things we touch every day to see how filthy they really are.More >>
    After a few disastrous flu seasons, and recent increases in staph infections nationwide, spreading germs is becoming more and more serious. In a special report, we tested a bunch of things we touch every day to see how filthy they really are.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.