Fire causes minor damage to a Tyler home - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Fire causes minor damage to a Tyler home

Posted: Updated:

Tyler Fire Department:

TYLER (KYTX) - The Tyler Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire Wednesday afternoon in the 900 block of W. Nutbush St.  The initial call was received just after 2:00 p.m., with six units responding to the single alarm incident.

Firefighters arriving on the scene reported light smoke coming from the structure.  Entry into the residence was made and firefighters discovered a small fire in the oven. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and ventilated smoke from the house.

There was one occupant inside at the time of the incident.  Firefighters report that the fire originated in the kitchen and was caused as a result of cooking.  No injuries were reported and the home suffered only minor damage.

The fire department reminds citizens to be alert and use caution when cooking in the home.  According to recent statistics from the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries.  Two of every five home fires start in the kitchen, with unattended cooking accounting for 34 percent of these.  Citizens are encouraged to practice fire safety and prevention year-round, especially as we enter the holiday season.

For more information on fire prevention and safety, please contact the Tyler Fire Marshal's Office at (903)535-0005.

Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.