SeaWorld takes out ads to defend itself against whale mistreatme - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

SeaWorld takes out ads to defend itself against whale mistreatment accusations

Posted: Updated:

(CNN) -- Faced with a growing backlash from entertainers and others responding to a documentary film claiming mistreatment of whales, SeaWorld bought full-page ads in newspapers nationwide Friday to call the accounts inaccurate and paint its employees as "true animal advocates."

"The truth about SeaWorld is right here in our parks and people," the company said in the ad, which appeared in The New York Times and other papers.

SeaWorld has been battered in recent weeks since the television premiere of the documentary "Blackfish" on CNN.

The movie traces a 39-year history of killer whales in captivity, leading up to the 2010 killing of SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau by the 12,000-pound orca Tilikum -- a whale previously associated with the death of two other people.

Filmmaker Gabriela Cowperthwaite said the documentary team's research for the film shows the whales suffer from boredom and stress and are unsuitable for life in captivity.

More artists cancel SeaWorld concerts SeaWorld fights for its survival The story of a killer whale

A number of entertainers, including Heart, Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies and country music singers Martina McBride and Willie Nelson, canceled appearances at SeaWorld after the airing.

A Malibu, California, school recently canceled its annual overnight field trip to the park after students spoke out in opposition, and a San Diego, California, high school cinema class posted a video to YouTube with students pledging to spend no more money at SeaWorld until the company changes its practices.

'Blackfish' prompts school to cancel longstanding SeaWorld trip

Social media sites critical of SeaWorld also are filled with comments from people vowing they'll never go to the parks again after viewing the film.

SeaWorld has consistently rejected the "Blackfish" accusations, including in statements to CNN, but the ads published Friday are perhaps its most visible effort to defend itself.

In its ad, also posted to its website, SeaWorld:

• Denied accusations that it captures killer whales in the wild, saying it last did so 35 years ago.

• Said it does not separate whale calves from their mothers except for "the rare occasion that a mother killer whale cannot care for the calf herself."

• Rejected claims that its whales suffer shortened lifespans.

• Argued its work with universities, governments and nonprofits has helped advance scientific understanding of killer whales in the wild, and said it has spent $70 million in recent years on habitats, which it calls "among the largest in the world today."

"Our guests may enter our gates having never given much thought to the remarkable animals in our oceans," SeaWorld says in the ad. "When they leave with a greater appreciation for the importance of the sea, educated about the animals that live there and inspired to make a difference, we have done our job."

The problem, notes crisis communications expert David Johnson, is that some of those former guests are finding themselves increasingly uncomfortable about their affection for SeaWorld, and are willing to share their squeamishness with the world.

For instance, on YouTube, students from a Point Loma, San Diego, high school recount their happy memories at SeaWorld before promising to stay away until the park changes its polices. In another video, a 5-year-old boy talks of how the film made him angry about SeaWorld's treatment of whales.

While SeaWorld can get along without entertainers, widely watched images of children rejecting field trips to the parks will be more troublesome, Johnson said.

"Oh, it's really damaging," he said.

Evidence of whether that proves to be the case could be revealed in February, when the company should next file quarterly reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission showing its financial performance for the quarter that included the CNN airings of "Blackfish."

The company depends entirely on admissions and concession sales for its revenues, which totaled $538.4 million in the three months that ended on September 30.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • East Texas mother's bond set at $2 million dollars in daughter's death

    East Texas mother's bond set at $2 million dollars in daughter's death

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:30 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:30:22 GMT
    UPDATE: An East Texas mother's bond is now set at $2 million dollars. Stacie Marie Parsons was arraigned in the Henderson Co. jail this morning. She is charged with the capital murder of her 4 year old daughter.More >>
    UPDATE: An East Texas mother's bond is now set at $2 million dollars. Stacie Marie Parsons was arraigned in the Henderson Co. jail this morning. She is charged with the capital murder of her 4 year old daughter.More >>
  • ‘Operation Coyote’ targets human smuggling networks

    ‘Operation Coyote’ targets human smuggling networks

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 4:43 PM EDT2014-07-22 20:43:13 GMT
    photo: (ICE)photo: (ICE)
    WASHINGTON (KYTX) — In a news conference Tuesday, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, joined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol and U.S. Deputy Attorney General announced the progress of ongoing enforcement efforts by ICE Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the U.S. Department of Justice to target human smuggling networks in the Rio Grande Valley.More >>
    WASHINGTON (KYTX) — In a news conference Tuesday, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, joined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol and U.S. Deputy Attorney General announced the progress of ongoing enforcement efforts by ICE Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the U.S. Department of Justice to target human smuggling networks in the Rio Grande Valley.More >>
  • Yantis man indicted after admitting to having sex with 12-year-old girl on school playground

    Yantis man indicted after admitting to having sex with 12-year-old girl on school playground

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 4:05 PM EDT2014-07-22 20:05:14 GMT
    photo: Wood Co. Jailphoto: Wood Co. Jail
    QUITMAN (KYTX) – A Wood County Grand jury has indicted a Yantis man on child sex abuse charges.More >>
    QUITMAN (KYTX) – A Wood County Grand jury has indicted a Yantis man on child sex abuse charges.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.