Christmas Eve House Fire in Overton - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Christmas Eve House Fire in Overton

Christmas Eve House Fire in Overton

Posted: Updated:

OVERTON (KYTX) - One woman was sent to the hospital after a space heater burned down a home in Overton. Smoke filled the air on Christmas Eve for the people living in this home. An elderly couple, one woman, and 3 kids have all had their plans changed for Christmas. Shelby Dearman says the house is her grandma Sue Carpenter's home and this fire will challenge the family.

"It's devastating. It really is. But we are going to do what we can to bring the Holiday spirit back."

The fire began just before 4 and burned for 5 hours. Overton, Sabine, and Arp fire departments all came to help battle the flames. Overton Fire Chief Bill Wall says he is glad the other departments had his station's back.

"I wasn't sure of how many of my men were in town, we needed man power, my guys were taking a beating."

Wall says  1 man and 1 woman had minor burns, but nothing life threatening.The fire happened on the 600 block of Lamar. Alex Hahn is the grandson of the couple who owns the home -- and says his family is a strong one.

"It's definitely a test to see how we will pull together on Christmas. Some people have to pull their lives together on Christmas but we will buckle down and get it done."

Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2004 - 2014, WorldNow and KYTX, Owned and Operated by London Broadcasting Company.
All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.