Crocodile attack in Australia: Boy, 12, feared dead - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Crocodile attack in Australia: Boy, 12, feared dead

Posted: Updated:

(CNN) -- A 12-year-old boy is missing after being snatched by a crocodile in a remote part of the Australian Outback, authorities said Monday.

Police officers and park rangers have been using helicopters and boats to search an area around Mudginberri in the Northern Territory's Kakadu National Park since Sunday afternoon, when a saltwater crocodile attacked a group of five children swimming in a water hole, police sergeant Stephen Constable told CNN Monday.

One of the boys, aged 15, was bitten by the animal but managed to escape. The crocodile then turned on his friend, aged 12, Constable said.

"The 15-year-old boy was grabbed on his right arm. He started fighting off the croc, and it took him by the left arm; then it let him go and took hold of the 12-year-old boy, and swam off with him."

There has been no sign of the child since the attack occurred.

"As time goes on, the chances of finding him alive diminish severely," Constable said Monday evening.

A crocodile expert who examined the first boy's wounds, believes the crocodile is between 2.5 to three meters long (around eight to nine feet), Constable said.

Search crews are also looking for larger crocodiles that may have attacked the one that took the 12-year-old.

"On occasion a smaller crocodile may take some food, and a bigger crocodile will take it off them," said Constable.

Authorities have issued shoot-to-kill orders for crocodiles longer than two meters which are spotted in the area.

Two crocodiles, 4.3 and 4.7 meters in length, were killed and cut open overnight, but their stomachs did not contain any human remains.

According to local media reports, people had been warned against swimming in the area after a teenager survived an attack by a five-meter-long crocodile in the region in January last year.

Constable said this time of year is particularly dangerous due to seasonal flooding.

Authorities will continue their search through the night, he added.

Australian boy says kangaroo saved him

Coroner rules dingo to blame for Australian baby's death

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • East Texas mother's bond set at $2 million dollars in daughter's death

    East Texas mother's bond set at $2 million dollars in daughter's death

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:30 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:30:22 GMT
    UPDATE: An East Texas mother's bond is now set at $2 million dollars. Stacie Marie Parsons was arraigned in the Henderson Co. jail this morning. She is charged with the capital murder of her 4 year old daughter.More >>
    UPDATE: An East Texas mother's bond is now set at $2 million dollars. Stacie Marie Parsons was arraigned in the Henderson Co. jail this morning. She is charged with the capital murder of her 4 year old daughter.More >>
  • ‘Operation Coyote’ targets human smuggling networks

    ‘Operation Coyote’ targets human smuggling networks

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 4:43 PM EDT2014-07-22 20:43:13 GMT
    photo: (ICE)photo: (ICE)
    WASHINGTON (KYTX) — In a news conference Tuesday, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, joined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol and U.S. Deputy Attorney General announced the progress of ongoing enforcement efforts by ICE Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the U.S. Department of Justice to target human smuggling networks in the Rio Grande Valley.More >>
    WASHINGTON (KYTX) — In a news conference Tuesday, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, joined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol and U.S. Deputy Attorney General announced the progress of ongoing enforcement efforts by ICE Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the U.S. Department of Justice to target human smuggling networks in the Rio Grande Valley.More >>
  • Yantis man indicted after admitting to having sex with 12-year-old girl on school playground

    Yantis man indicted after admitting to having sex with 12-year-old girl on school playground

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 4:05 PM EDT2014-07-22 20:05:14 GMT
    photo: Wood Co. Jailphoto: Wood Co. Jail
    QUITMAN (KYTX) – A Wood County Grand jury has indicted a Yantis man on child sex abuse charges.More >>
    QUITMAN (KYTX) – A Wood County Grand jury has indicted a Yantis man on child sex abuse charges.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.