When a baby stops breathing, Florida motorists pitch in to help - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

When a baby stops breathing, Florida motorists pitch in to help

Posted: Updated:
CNN CNN
  • CBS19.tv Web ExclusivesMore>>

Web Exclusive: Technology helping house calls make a comeback

Friday, August 1 2014 9:44 AM EDT2014-08-01 13:44:03 GMT
    You know the feeling when you or your child gets sick, it can be really tough to get out of bed and drag yourself to the doctor's office.  In some places now technology is bringing the doctor to you.More >>

Moms-to-be learn how to be Fit for Two

Thursday, July 31 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:54:43 GMT
    Exercising during pregnancy may have more benefits than you realize. Research finds it can make labor and delivery easier on your body. There are also benefits for baby. As little as 20 minutes of moderate exercise, three times per week enhances the newborn child's brain development.  In this week's Fit City, find out how ETMC is trying to create strong moms and healthy babies with one of its programs. More >>

Web Exclusive: Rob Lowe is getting "sharky" for a TV network

Thursday, July 31 2014 9:45 AM EDT2014-07-31 13:45:11 GMT
    Actor Rob Lowe is lending his comedic talents to the Discovery channel.  In a new promo for Shark Week he throws up chum while riding two sharks.More >>

(CNN) -- Pamela Rauseo was stuck in traffic on a Miami highway Thursday when her 5-month-old nephew, strapped into his car seat behind her, stopped screaming -- and she knew something was very wrong.

"That was a red flag for me, because the car was at a standstill, and he'd had a little bit of a cold, and I knew that he was congested, so I got really worried," Rauseo said Friday of her nephew, Sebastian de la Cruz.

She had good reason to worry as she stopped along State Road 836, a six-lane stretch of concrete known locally as the Dolphin Expressway.

"I pulled over on the left, and I jumped to the back to check up on him, and he was out. He was sleeping, and I touched him to stimulate him. I got no response, so I took him out of his car seat, and he was completely limp and turning purple. I tried to call 911, but I was just so nervous, my hands wouldn't function."

Rauseo screamed for help, and fellow motorists responded.

Lucila Godoy was among the first.

"I was driving in the middle lane; she was in the fast lane, and all of a sudden I see her, and she's screaming and she's holding the baby and she's putting it up and down," Godoy said. "I just stopped the car and jumped out of the car, and I asked her what was going on, and we started working as a team."

Godoy had taken a CPR course when she was pregnant in Venezuela with her own son, also named Sebastian. "I didn't even think about it," she said. "I just hold the baby like my baby. ... When I heard her screaming 'Sebastian,' that was hard."

Soon, Sweetwater Police officer Amauris Bastidas stopped and helped the women perform chest compressions on the struggling infant, who resumed breathing on his own.

"Save someone's life -- that's my duty," the officer, usually assigned to bike patrol at Dolphin Mall, told CNN affiliate WFOR. "My duty to act."

Miami Herald photographer Al Diaz was among those stuck in traffic.

"An SUV stops in front of me, and I didn't think anything of it," he told CNN affiliate WSVN. "But I started hearing screaming, and I couldn't tell where the screams come from, and I looked at my phone, and I looked at my radio and I look up again, and a woman pops out of a car holding a baby, screaming, 'Help me! Help me! My baby's not breathing.' "

He went looking for help and found it coming from all sides, then snapped into his mode as a photographer and began documenting what he saw. "That moment now is frozen in my mind," he said. "That's just the way I see."

But the ordeal was not over. Sebastian stopped breathing again.

"It was like the nightmare started all over again," Rauseo said. Bastidas resumed performing chest compressions, "and the baby finally reacted, and this time it was for much longer -- until the fire/rescue came."

Sebastian was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he was in critical condition Friday, his aunt said.

"We're confident he'll be fine," Rauseo said. "We just need to get to the root of what's causing these issues for him."

• Local NewsMore>>

House GOP cancels vote on immigration bill

Thursday, July 31 2014 2:46 PM EDT2014-07-31 18:46:25 GMT
    Washington (CNN) -- On the last day before summer recess, dysfunction reigned in Congress.House Republicans canceled a vote on their $659 million emergency response to the border influx from Central America overwhelming immigration resources, unable to agree among themselves about what to do.More >>

New Summerfield family awaits word if body found belongs to missing loved one

Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:22:54 GMT
    Missing person Javier JimenezMissing person Javier Jimenez
    NEW SUMMERFIELD -- Jessica Jimenez is consoled by family members after learning police have found a body just days after her father was reported missing. Javier Jimenez, 44, was last seen leaving his home in New Summerfield on the morning of July 23. More >>

Nine Cases of Chikungunya Virus in Texas

Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:58 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:58:47 GMT
    AUSTIN (KYTX)- Texas Department of State Health and Services has confirmed nine Texas cases of Chikungunya, a virus that can cause fever and severe joint pain and is transmitted by mosquitoes.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.