Smoke alarm saves sleeping woman - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Smoke alarm saves sleeping woman

Posted: Updated:
  • CBS19.tv Web ExclusivesMore>>

  • Web Exclusive: Rob Lowe is getting "sharky" for a TV network

    Web Exclusive: Rob Lowe is getting "sharky" for a TV network

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:45 AM EDT2014-07-31 13:45:11 GMT
    Actor Rob Lowe is lending his comedic talents to the Discovery channel.  In a new promo for Shark Week he throws up chum while riding two sharks.More >>
    Actor Rob Lowe is lending his comedic talents to the Discovery channel.  In a new promo for Shark Week he throws up chum while riding two sharks.More >>
  • Web Exclusive: Company cancels class to nix Southern accents, y'all, after complaints

    Web Exclusive: Company cancels class to nix Southern accents, y'all, after complaints

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 12:00 PM EDT2014-07-30 16:00:17 GMT
    We live in the South, so some of us may have a Southern accent, but would you consider saying "goodbye" to "howdy, y'all"?
    The Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee was going to offer a speech class for its workers next month to do just that, until it got canceled.
    More >>
    We live in the South, so some of us may have a Southern accent, but would you consider saying "goodbye" to "howdy, y'all"?
    The Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee was going to offer a speech class for its workers next month to do just that, until it got canceled.
    More >>
  • Web Exclusive: Ultra HD TVs

    Web Exclusive: Ultra HD TVs

    (CNN) -Some people just have to have the latest in television technology. The newest TVs on the market- ultra-high definition TVs- or UHD TVs. They have higher screen resolution than current high def screens, and are also known as "4-K" sets. "More >>
    (CNN) -Some people just have to have the latest in television technology. The newest TVs on the market- ultra-high definition TVs- or UHD TVs. They have higher screen resolution than current high def screens, and are also known as "4-K" sets. "More >>

Update:: (KYTX) Smith County Assistant Fire Marshal Connie Wasson tells CBS19 the fire originated in the living room of the home that caught fire Thursday morning around 8:30 a.m.

Wasson and homeowner Patricia Scott confirm a table with a tablecloth on it was too close to Scott's space heater and caught fire.

It's recommended you keep all items at least 3 feet away from a space heater to be on the safe side. Wasson also advises you to check smoke detectors every 6 months, and replace batteries. 

___________

BY KENNETH DEAN, kdean@tylerpaper.com

(TYLER MORNING TELEGRAPH) - A blaring smoke alarm and a barking dog woke Patricia Scott in time to escape her burning house this morning. 

Smith County Assistant Fire Marshal Connie McCoy-Wasson said she and other investigators with her department are currently digging through the fire to determine a cause.

"We are right in the middle of it now, so we haven't made that determination at this time," she said at the location at 10299 County Road 3197.

Ms. McCoy-Wasson said Ms. Scott was asleep in the home when she awoke to the screeching of her smoke alarm and her dog barking. 

"She walked out of the bedroom to see another room on fire. She was able to get out and the fire department was able to put a quick stop on it," she said.

 

She added the woman's daughter had already left for school so she was not home at the time of the fire. 

No injuries were reported.

Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.